The Verb Nerd Pledge: No drama. No screw-ups. Clean copy. Contented writers. Satisfied readers.
- Reliability: I have deadlines in my DNA. I deliver on time, every time.
- Flexibility: I do Macs and Windows. I can format Word documents, conjure Excel graphics, post tweets and plug videos into blog posts.
- Credibility: 20 years of newspaper editing taught me the value of getting it right.
- Editing ability: I have an innate sense of story structure and an infallible instinct for finding the emotional center of an article (and, of course, moving it to the top).
“He is truly one of the best all-around editorial professionals I’ve worked with in over 20 years of magazine publishing and marketing communications work.”
— Sandy Todd Webster, Editor-in-Chief, IDEA Fitness Journal
- Deadline news
- Social media
- Outdoor Recreation
- Microsoft Office
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Mac OS
- Windows 7
- TrimTabs Investment Research: Substantive editing and report writing for financial newsletter serving top hedge funds and institutional investors. I also collaborate with certified financial analysts and create Excel graphics that are integrated into my reports.
- HotChalk.com: Substantive editing for content-marketing project targeting K-12 educators. I manage the editorial calendar for a pool of bloggers, edit their copy, provide coaching and help develop story ideas.
- IDEA Fitness Association: Substantive editing for features and columns for nation’s largest association of fitness professionals. Requires basic understanding of human physiology and ability to work with subject matter experts who are not professional writers.
- Priceline.com: Editing hotel descriptions and training writers for global content-marketing project.
- Caviar Affair: Editing, ghostwriting, headline/caption writing, proofing for high-end luxury travel/culture magazine.
- Everytrail.com: Writing more than 100 GPS-enabled travel guides for outdoor adventurers.
Newspaper Editing Experience
- San Jose Mercury News: Editing, layout, headline writing of news, feature and opinion pages. 1999-2009.
- Peoria Journal Star: Lead features designer, copy editor for entertainment, food, home/garden sections. 1993-1999.
- Tampa Tribune: Editing, layout, headline writing for local zoned editions. 1988-1993.
- What is editing, anyway?
- How much should editing cost?
- How long should editing take?
- The difference between substantive editing, copy editing and proofreading.
- 5 essentials to bridging the gap between experienced editors and inexperienced writers
- Think like an editor: a four-step plan for adding more content to your company website